Code Enforcement is a Division of the Lassen County Planning and Building Services Department. The primary function of the Division is to receive and respond to citizen complaints and referrals from other agencies and/or departments regarding alleged violations of applicable ordinances, codes, and regulations relating to fire, life, health, safety, blight, building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, public nuisance, welfare, zoning, land use, and other matters of public concern. The County Code Enforcement program is complaint driven. This means that, typically, the Department does not initiate code enforcement cases. However, cases are potentially opened (without a complaint) when a “dangerous” violation is identified necessitating action without a complaint.
When fully staffed, the Division is comprised of two code enforcement officers. These two officers are managed by a Supervisor who has additional responsibilities, unrelated to code enforcement. Code enforcement staff act under the authority of the Department’s Director and Building Official.
Confidentiality of Code Enforcement Cases
Investigation and enforcement of code enforcement cases are usually confidential pursuant to the Public Records Act (section 6254 of the California Government Code) because they are of an investigative nature that may lead to enforcement actions taken against a property owner. As such, it is unlikely that the Code Enforcement Division will be able to provide information regarding active cases. An exception, are code enforcement records or information that is presented to the Board of Supervisors (see California Government Code section 54957.5). Additionally, it is noted that the identity of complainants is usually (if not always) confidential.
Reference Material Recommended by the California Association of Code Enforcement Officers
For those interested in a more detailed discussion, the following is a list of reference material recommended by the California Association of Code Enforcement Officers (December 9., 2020):
- California Criminal Law and Evidence / Pc 832 Sourcebook (2009); LawTech Publishing, (www.LawTechPublishing.com)
- Mike Mangiaracina, Courtroom Testimony; LawTech Publishing (www.LawTechPublishing.com)
- Carol Hawks & Jean Goodall, Crime Scene Documentation; LawTech Publishing, (www.LawTechPublishing.com)
- Randal Davis, Evidence Collection & Presentation; LawTech Publishing, (www.LawTechPublishing.com)
- Douglas Hansen, Redwood Kardon, Paddy Morrissey, Code Check Building For California; Taunton Publishing (www.CodeCheck.com)
- International Residential Code –Study Companion; International Code Council
- Cecily T. Talbert, California Land Planning and Planning Law; Solano Press
- International Property Maintenance Code 2006; International Code Council
- Uniform Housing Code 1997 edition; International Code Council
- California Code Enforcement Source Guide 2009 edition; CACEO
- Bickel, Branden E. and Sirkin, D. Andrew. The Condominium Bluebook 2000; Piedmont, CA, Piedmont Press, 2000.
- Merullo, Victor D. and Valentine, Michael J. Arboriculture and the Law; International Society of Arboriculture. IL, 1992.
- Council on Tree Appraisers. Guide for Plant Appraisal; International Society of Arboriculture, IL, 2000.
- Shigo, Alex L. Tree Pruning, A Worldwide Photo Guide; New Hampshire, 2003.
- Starrett, Paul, J.D. An Investigator's Guide to Interview and Interrogation for Investigations; California, 2005. (www.LawTechPublishing.com)
- Rutledge, Devallis, California Peace Officers' Legal Sourceguide 2009; (www.LawTechPublishing.com)
- Kardon, Redwood; Casey, Michael; and Hansen, Douglas. Code Check West, A Field Guide to Building a Safe House; The Taunton Press, Inc. 2002.
- Steward, Marcia et al. 9th Edition of Every Landlord's Legal Guide; Nolo Press, 2009.
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE FOR THE LONG VALLEY GROUNDWATER MANAGEMENT DISTRICT
Lassen County Board of Supervisors are accepting applications from residents of the district within Lassen County for appointment to the Long Valley Groundwater Management District.
Interested persons should submit their application to the Lassen County Clerk, Located behind the Historic Courthouse at 22o S. Lassen St, Suite 5, Susanville, CA 96130.
See the Lassen County Clerk of the Board Website for application and more information.
Assistant Environmental Health Specialist / Environmental Health Specialist I/II
Open until filled. Competitive Salary and Benefit package available.
Please see job announcement HERE
Code Enforcement Officer I/II
Open until filled. Competitive Salary and Benefit Package available.
Please see job announcement HERE
Come join the Lassen County Family today!