Champions for Change
The foods we eat affect our health, bodies and minds. Eating healthy means filling half our plates with fruits and vegetables. As Champions for Change, we follow the “MyPlate” rules – or these 10 Tips to a Great Plate.
A good tip to follow is to fill half your plate with colorful fruits and vegetables. The good news is that there are hundreds of fruits and vegetables, so it’s easy to eat a colorful variety. Fruits and vegetables come in many different forms. Fruits and vegetables may be fresh, cooked, canned, frozen, or dried. They can be eaten whole, cut-up, mashed, or puréed. And 100% fruit or vegetable juice counts too!
There are many ways to eat healthy at every meal and snack. We have almost 100 healthy recipes to help you and your family eat healthy all day and every day. You can also check out our Tips for Eating Healthy to learn how you can enjoy more fruits and vegetables at home, school, work, and in your community.
Fruits and vegetables help your body get the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and nutrients it needs to be healthy. They are also low in sodium and calories, and most are fat free. As part of a balanced plate, fruits and vegetables may help you and your family:
- Lower your risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and some types of cancer.
- Control weight.
- Have more energy.
- Look and feel great.
- Focus and do better in school.
- Grow and develop a strong body.
- Feel good about themselves.
- Lower their risk for obesity that could lead to type 2 diabetes.
Being healthy means moving more – every day!
Why? Because it’s good for our health, bodies, and minds.
- Walk to nearby places like school, work, and the grocery store.
- Dance with our families after dinner.
- Play a game of soccer with our friends.
- Garden – so we can be active and grow healthy foods at the same time!
Everybody is different. Find out how much you and your family need in our How Much section.
There are many ways to get moving every day. Our Tips to Get Moving will give you lots of ideas on how to move more, no matter where you are.
Being physically active every day is good for your health.
- Give you more energy.
- Lower stress and help you relax.
- Help you get to and keep a healthy body weight.
- Lower your risk of serious health problems like obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and some types of cancer.
- Help build and keep your bones, muscles, and joints healthy.
- Help you focus better at work.
- Help your child focus better at school.
What You Drink Is As Important As What You Eat.
Healthy changes happen when we make healthy choices.
We want to help you become a Champion for Change today!
- Brochures and Tips to Eat Healthy & Get Moving.
- Guides to Help You Make Changes in Your Community.
- Healthy Cookbooks.
- Helpful Websites.
- Just for Kids!
Brochures and Tips to Help You Eat Healthy & Get Moving
- Fruits and Vegetables for Your Health
- Help Your Kids Power Up With Fruits, Vegetables, and Physical Activity
- Let’s Eat for the Health of It
- The Power is in Your Hands: Money- and time-saving tips that help you fight for your family’s health
- Power Up in 10: Strength Training for Families (English and Spanish)
- Shape of Yoga: Nutrition & Physical Activity Booklet for Families (English and Spanish)
Guides to Help You Make Changes in Your Community
- Advocate for the Health of Our Families
- Fruit & Vegetable Community Assessment
- Physical Activity Community Assessment
- Steps to Advocate for Fruits, Vegetables, and Physical Activity in Your Community
- Walkability Checklist
- Everyday Healthy Recipes